Thursday, March 1, 2012

a beginners makeup kit

Hola amigos! I've been getting a few requests to do a "just starting out" makeup kit post. I've thought long and hard, and these are the products I think would be best if you're just beginning to get into makeup. And keep in mind that I'm a drugstore makeup junkie, so all of these products will be affordable (although lately I've been eyeing "sketch" eyeshadow from MAC and the Urban Decay Naked Palettes ;]) So without further ado...

 If you're just starting out with makeup, I totally recommend getting a powder foundation. It's much easier to work with and gives you nice amount of coverage if you buy the right kind. I suggest either Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free foundation or Covergirl powder foundation.

I would also suggest using a powder blush. This will give you good practice with brushes, where cream blush you can use with your fingers. I recommend wet n wild color icon blush or milani baked blush.

When you're just getting into makeup, don't go for all the bright eyeshadows. Stick with neutrals until you're confident in your ability to apply makeup, then go for a couple fun colors. I LOVE Revlon Quads, and they just came out with a new line of them, so be sure to check those out. Also, you can never go wrong with wet n wild trios.

 Get a plain black eyeliner. This is a must. You can do so much with black eyeliner. My favorite way to wear it is smudging it on the outer half of my lower lashline/waterline. It really defines my eyes and makes them pop. My very favorite black eyeliner is the Physicians Formula Eyeliner. I got it in the shimmer strips green eyes trio, but they sell singles.
Also, covergirl liquiline blast liner in black fire is amazing!

Get an eyebrow pencil. You may not realize it, but your eyebrows frame your face, and therefore they complete your look. But I have to warn you, do NOT get a color that's too dark! This is the biggest problem people have when buying an eyebrow pencil. Instead of getting one that matches your eyebrows exactly, get one that is a shade or two lighter. I really like wet n wild eyeliner/eyebrow pencils and NYC eyeliner/eyebrow pencils (I have an NYC one and love it!).

This little guy makes such a difference. Curling your lashes make your eyes look bigger and your lashes look fuller. DEFINITELY invest in one :) I LOVELOVELOVE the e.l.f. eyelash curler.

Mascara can change your whole look. It really can. If you had to pick one product to buy in this whole post, I'd go for mascara. One of my absolute favorite mascaras is the covergirl all-in-one mascara in black. It volumizes, lengthens, and stays all day!

And last but not least! If you're starting out with makeup, don't get a lipstick. Get a Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter. They are a-m-a-z-i-n-g!! (Would you like a review?) These are uber-moisturizing and give really nice color pay-off. The colors I would suggest are Strawberry Shortcake, Creamsicle, Sugar Frosting, Creme Brulee, and Berry Smoothie.

That's pretty much it! Those are all you need for a basic makeup kit! I hope this post helps you get started on your love for cosmetics :)

-hannah
p.s. would you like me to review any products? Make any certain posts? Leave a comment to tell me!


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks so much! I'm going to follow your advice, except I don't want to curl my eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have a liquid foundation and it does absolutely nothing, so I'll be getting some powder asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Hannah! This is very helpful. :)
    I would love a review for the lip butter - that seems like a great product.

    hugs,
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete

Hey there beauties! I would love to here your opinion on this post :) Thanks for taking the time to comment <3

-hannah